Current Location

Stuart is currently in Paris, France

Friday, April 12, 2013

Hong Kong



Friday April 12 – Hong Kong





Yesterday afternoon I was able to walk into Kowloon and along Nathan Street. One of my longtime ambitions has been to walk on Nathan Street and look for the address 122. We have carved oriental furniture (purchased by my Dad when he was in the Navy) that was made by George Zee whose factory was at 122 Nathan Road – see the photo of the metal label from the bottom of one of the two sets of 4 stacking tables. The first two digits ‘62’ indicate that they were made in 1962. As I walked up the road I took a picture of the road sign 100-130 Nathan Road – I was getting close!!!




Good news, bad news. I found where the factory was – it (and other addresses) have been gobbled up into a shopping mall. Sadly, even though the address of MiraMall is 118-130 Nathan Road, there is no shop in the mall with the number 122. At least I tried!

After our first night on the ship docked here in Hong Kong (where it rained quite a bit), the morning brought a break in the rain, although it was still quite cloudy. There were some sprinkles in the morning as I briskly walked the jogging track on Deck 11 (I soon had the whole track to myself), and it was a quite invigorating way to start the day (walking up the stairs from Deck 2 to Deck 11 began the cardio routine). I didn’t go on an excursion today as I wanted to re-visit the talk I was giving today (an overview of the ports where we’re going, and it’s a new route for the ship). There was quite a turnout (about 250 people) in the ship’s theater.

Our sail away from port began at 9:45 PM; the atmosphere was jovial even though the damp air did have a modest effect on the outside turnout. The three short blasts on the ship’s horn announced our departure from the busy Hong Kong skyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment