Current Location

Stuart is currently in Paris, France

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

[Stuart’s Travel Blog] Day 0 – On the Way to Paris


May 19, 2014 --
The day finally arrived for us to leave the comforts of home for the excitement of Paris, France. Our 6 AM flight out of Boise meant an early (3:30 AM) wake-up. Our rescue dog Rosie didn’t know why everyone in the house was up so early, and then she saw our bags being taken out to the car. She knew what was happening; we were leaving her again. She really doesn’t like it when we go somewhere, and this two-month absence might be really hard on her. At least our daughter Adrianne is home with her; so that’s a help.

We had an uneventful flight from Boise to Denver as we sat in First Class seats 2A and 2B. We were a little late departing, but we landed on time. Right now we are on the flight from Denver to Newark, again in seats 2A and 2B. I don’t know what they’re serving us for lunch [p.s. It was a chunky tomato soup plus a lettuce salad with shrimp, very nice] on the flight, but I’m hungry as breakfast was at 4:15 this morning, about seven hours ago. Once we get to Newark, we’ll have a couple hours to spend in the International United Club before getting on the 767. The lie-flat Business Class seats will be really nice for us to be able to get some real sleep on the 7 hour and 25 minute flight to Charles de Gaulle airport.

Going through security in Boise was interesting this morning. We have TSA pre-check, so we didn’t have the normal long line, take everything off situation. But there was something in my “heavy” carry-on bag that they didn’t like. I knew what it was when I saw the scan. I had packed up a small box with Euro coins to take with me. Some were in coin tubes, and others in zip-lock bags. As the TSA agent opened my bag and looked at the expertly taped box, I told her what was inside. “I have to open it she said,” but my excellent taping job (I’m notorious for using LOTS of tape – ask my kids) initially foiled her. She thought she could just peel it off – no way!

She had another agent get her scissors so she open the box, and voila – it was the coins just as I told her. But perhaps coins are dangerous, especially when there are so many of them, so she had to run the empty box plus all the tubes and bags of coins back through the scanner. Gee, all that showed up was coins – duh! “Do you want to put them back into the box?” she asked.

“No; you may,” I told her as she struggled to get them all back in. She then taped it back up, put it back into my bag, and zipped up the bag.

I’m sure glad she made sure that those coins were safe enough to be on a plane with me!

I promise that things will be more exciting once we get to Paris. Please tell your friends about my travel blog, especially if they like Paris. Au revoir for now!

Stuart (and Darlene)

No comments:

Post a Comment