Current Location

Stuart is currently in Paris, France

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

In Amsterdam -- All's Well, Finally!

The trip started off fine; my flight from Boise to Chicago was on time. And, even though it was a regional jet, the only carry-on luggage I had was my back pack; the other two pieces were checked all the way through to Amsterdam. So I didn't have to wait for them to bring my "green tagged gate checked"bag to me. Arrived in Chicago at gate B18 and had to go through the tunnel over to C19 for the non-stop flight to Amsterdam. I got there, and they should have been boarding. There was no activity, aside from a few people sitting there. That didn't look good.

I went to a departure screen and saw CANCELLED -- that is certainly not good. Fortunately, the United Club was close by, and I went in to see what I could do. "Hurry, she said, they're boarding to Munich right now, but you need to go there immediately." Another agent asked, "Bags?" Yes, two of them. "I'll try to get them re-routed for you."

I said Thanks, and headed out the door and ran to gate C10. It was a comfortable flight to Munich, and then I got on a Lufthansa flight from there to Amsterdam, arriving about 3+ hours later than my original schedule -- not a problem for timing. That's one of the reasons I came in a day before the cruise -- Just In Case! As the bags began to come out on the belt, I saw one of mine. Whew! They made it. Oops -- only one made it on the same flights as I was on. Off to the baggage office; I wasn't the only one with that problem. They didn't know where my bag was. Filled out the form, and took the one bag with me.

One thing I like about the Amsterdam airport is the train station right in the center. So off to a kiosk I go to buy a ticket to Centraal Station, but they only take credit cards with a chip and a PIN. Mine doesn't have that. I go to the ticket counter, same thing. Take US Dollars? No. I found a bank, and got a terrible exchange rate. But I got the coins I needed to buy my ticket, and I boarded the 2:48 express train. Arrived in town, and now it's raining. Fortunately, my rain jacket was in the one bag I got. Out I go to walk to the hotel through the rain, pulling one bag with me.

My room (a 7 x 14 foot "single" plus bathroom) is on the fourth floor up a bunch of narrow, steep, winding stairs. Elevator -- ha ha ha! No elevator. I called the baggage people about 30 minutes prior to their closing -- nothing on your bag yet, I'm told. I go down two floors to the desk to ask where I can buy a razor, etc., for tomorrow. "The airport just called, and your bag will be here between 8 and 10 PM tonight." It was about 7:15 at the time.

Went out for dinner -- still raining. Bought a compact umbrella on the way back from dinner. My bag arrived about 9:15 -- sure glad it's here. So now I'm all set for tomorrow; I just hope it's not raining if I ha to walk the mile or so to the cruise terminal -- taxis aren't that plentiful here, but I will try to get one.

I'm starting to post picture on the PHOTOS page on the right side of the main blog page.

Time for a long sleep with ear plugs in -- very noisy area.

All's well -- finally!

Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment