Current Location

Stuart is currently in Paris, France

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Wacky Weekend Weather

04 February 2012 -- Los Cabos

This morning began even colder than yesterday, but then "colder" is a relative term when you're talking about the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula. It was cloudy, breezy, and I was almost forced to change out of shorts into long pants. I avoided the temptation and stayed in vacation shorts. For breakfast we had scrambled eggs on corn tortillas with fresh salsa. We still had some cut-up melon (watermelon and cantaloupe) to eat, so we added that to the plates; a glass of juice, and we were set -- we'd already had our fill of coffee to help fight off that morning chill.

I drove up to San Jose del Cabo and found a "lost friend." On Thursday's Art Walk in San Jose, I was disappointed that I couldn't find Carlos who owned the Casa Don Pablo Galleries; one was closed and the other was now selling photographic prints. I thought Carlos was gone. It turns out that he opened up a new thriving business -- Baja Blown Glass & Art, the only blown glass factory in San Jose del Cabo. I watched a demonstration of an artisan making a piece of art, and then I watched as an amateur (like I would be) tried to make the same thing -- it took him four times as long.

There are designs in Carlos's shop that I haven't seen in any other glass shops in the Los Cabos area, plus I really liked his "Wall of Hearts" -- I know where I'll be buying a Valentine gift this coming Thursday during Art Walk. Shhhh, don't anyone tell Darlene. If you want to see a few more pictures of the items inside his store, plus one of Carlos and a life-size Catrina (what's that? do a search and find out), look at the Photos page here on the travel blog. Give me a day to get them posted; they will be listed under today's date.

As the day turned into afternoon and into early evening, the sun finally re-appeared in Cabo San Lucas, and the sky was beautiful. One particular formation of clouds caught my attention, and while it was more striking in a close-up view, it also looked good when it was "framed" through the columns, walls, and patio decks of our building here at Playa Grande. I'll put the close-up picture also on the Photos page and let you decide if you think it's interesting or not.

We dinner with a good friend, Miroslava, at Nicksan here in Cabo San Lucas. She has helped me with my novel Missing in Mexico, and she is offering to assist me again. I wish I could figure out a way to help her other than taking her to dinner.

It's been an interesting day; thanks for coming along with me.

2 comments: