Current Location

Stuart is currently in Paris, France

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Todos Santos

01 February 2012 -- Cabo San Lucas to Todos Santos and back

I've never considered myself  to be fully literate in Spanish the way I used to be in Russian. But I am able to understand the flow of many conversations when I'm in Mexico, primarily because I'm here frequently and I also make a strong attempt to learn as much of the language as I can. I will speak some of the language, although I generally do not attempt to engage in a full-on conversation with a native Spanish speaker because it is faster than you can typically process the first three items on your grocery list. Well, today we learned a new word, and we learned it through repetition. Many teachers say that repetition is one of the best ways to learn a new word. "Desviacion" was our word for the day -- we saw it at least 19 times on our way going up to Todos Santos, and then of course coming back down. In case you can't figure it, it means "Detour." They are working on the road to make it a 4-lane highway all the way from Cabo San Lucas up to Todos Santos, or  least up to Pescador.

Despite all the detours -- there was even one detour off a detour -- we still made decent time getting up to Todos Santos. We weren't in a rush, so we didn't mind when a truck would speed past us. I was carrying my calendar with me, but there were no hard dates on it until Saturday night, so we were enjoying the sights of the cactus, the Pacific Ocean, and the occasional whale spouting. Next week is the annual Art Fest in Todos Santos, so I'll have to see if my brother and his wife want to go up they're while they're in Cabo. The four of us have been to it before; it's not that great, but it is something to do if you don't want to just sit around and read (that's not a bad thing, just ask Darlene!). Back to the drive -- at least the last 15 kilometers or so into Todos Santos were paved, so that was a good thing.

It was definitely lunch time and we found the little place we've been to every time we've gone to Todos Santos. I guess that's not saying much since there aren't too many main streets in town, just 2 of them now that I think about it. We ordered two soft tacos and a large Coca-Cola each, and the total bill was 84 pesos. I gave him the extra 16 pesos as a tip - it was still a bargain and we were full. After lunch we walked down the street, into some galleries and shops, and past the Hotel California. Yes, the myth is that the Eagles song is about this hotel. No, their song isn't. Yes, the myth helps their business. Yes, the song is usually blaring from the lobby, but it wasn't today. No, I'm not going to take a photo of the hotel and post it.

I'd seen a cute shop on the other main street and I told Darlene that I had to take a picture of it because it was so cute. This clothing and novelties shop is painted so brightly, even with a decorative box on its roof, that you just have to want to go inside -- but we didn't. But I did take a picture to let you know that I thought it was a pretty store. Isn't it nice that Darlene allows me these simple pleasures?

We enjoyed our time in Todos Santos, but we knew we wanted to re-visit our desviaciones, so we headed out of town and back to Cabo San Lucas. We sat at the sea wall and enjoyed the quiet for a while as the sun was still nice. Shortly, as they were getting ready for tonight's Beach Party on the sand, the noise began and we retired to our room. Dinner was pork chops, mushrooms, salad, and a glass of red wine.

Tomorrow we are planning on a pool day (not that we intend to go into the water), and then up to San Jose del Cabo for Art Walk in the evening. We hope your day has also been good. Hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment